International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) come from all walks of life; however, they share in common the following characteristics. All IBCLCs have demonstrated:
- Completion of education in human lactation and breastfeeding.
- Achievement of clinical practice hours in lactation and breastfeeding care.
- Successful passing of the IBLCE certification examination developed by subject matters experts in consultation with a PhD level psychometrician.
- Agreement to abide by the IBLCE Code of Professional Conduct and the IBLCE Disciplinary Procedures.
- Agreement to abide by the IBLCE recertification policy which requires recertification every five years either by pursuing continuing education or re-examination, and mandatory re-examination at ten years.