Looking for a way to stay connected to the IBCLC community after you retire? The IBCLC Retired status is a new designation as of 2021 that allows retired IBCLCs to stay connected to IBLCE and to recognise years of past service as an IBCLC.
IBCLC Retired Status Information
- The intention of this status is one of recognition and is for those who are no longer actively practising as an IBCLC and do not intend to return to practice.
- Retired IBCLCs will continue to receive IBLCE Briefings and relevant communications.
- This status is held for five years with a one-time fee. During these five years, one cannot practise as an IBCLC.
- “IBCLC Retired” may be used on a résumé or below one’s name on a business card, but not directly after a name or signature.
For example, this is correct usage:
Name, IBCLC Retired
- This five-year status is non-renewable. After holding the IBCLC Retired status, IBCLC certification or the IBCLC Retired status cannot be reinstated.
- IBCLC Retired is for IBCLCs who held the certification in good standing and are no longer certified and agree to adhere to the Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs.
- Please note that this is not for practising IBCLCs and is outside the purview of the IBCLC programme, which is accredited by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies.
Applications for IBCLC Retired Status
For Former IBCLCs Who Were Certified Within the Past 10 Years
Former IBCLCs whose certification has already expired have an opportunity to apply for this new status. This one-time limited exception is now available for those whose certification expired between 2010 and 2020. Applications are open now until September 30, 2022.
For IBCLCs Who are Currently Certified
IBCLCs must apply for the IBCLC Retired status in the year that their certification expires.
Applications for current IBCLCs and IBCLCs whose certification lapsed or expired since January 1, 2021 (one-time limited exception through September 30, 2022) are open now until September 30, 2022.
There is a one-time fee for the IBCLC Retired status, due when submitting your application:
- $75 for Tier 1
- $50 for Tier 2
- $25 for Tier 3