Candidates following Pathway 2 are to complete of the following:
- Be an IBLCE Recognised Healthcare Professional OR complete coursework in each of the 14 health science subjects.
- Within the five years immediately prior to applying for the exam, complete or graduate from an academic program in human lactation and breastfeeding which IBLCE has verified to include in its curriculum:
- 90 hours of didactic education in human lactation and breastfeeding
- 300 hours of directly supervised clinical practice in lactation and breastfeeding care
IBLCE does not endorse or recommend any particular academic program. Currently, the following academic programs offer an IBLCE verified Pathway 2 program.
Each academic program has unique admission and graduation requirements. You may contact these schools for more information about their requirements.
- Birthingway College of Midwifery
- Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute
- Drexel University
- Portland State University
- Union Institute and University
- University of California San Diego Extension
Note: Beginning January 1, 2017, academic programs purporting to prepare students to qualify for the IBLCE exam through Pathway 2 must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs or an equivalent accrediting body. In 2016, IBLCE extended this deadline to January 1, 2018 for Pathway 2 programs that were in the formal application process with CAAHEP, which is equivalent to having submitted the program’s self-study report.