Pathway 3 mentorship is a structured, defined relationship between an applicant and IBCLC(s) which must be preapproved. The mentorship must be developed according to the specifications found in the Pathway 3 Plan Guide, and the certification status of the IBCLCs serving as mentors must be verified by IBLCE prior to beginning the mentorship. All Pathway 3 Plans MUST be verified by IBLCE through an application process (which includes a fee) PRIOR to earning clinical hours for this Pathway.
In addition to the Health Sciences Education courses, Pathway 3 candidates must complete:
- Minimum of 95 hours of lactation specific education, including five hours of education focused on communication skills, within the five years immediately prior to examination application.
- Preferably the five hours of education focused on communication skills will be directly related to lactation and breastfeeding care, but this is not a requirement.
- Minimum of 500 hours of directly supervised lactation specific clinical practise as described in the Pathway 3 Plan Guide and obtained within the five years immediately prior to examination
- The IBCLC(s) who provide the direct supervision must be currently certified IBCLCs in good standing.
- Adherence to, with attestation, the Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs.